Updated: May 9, 2021
I love Thai curry- the simple mix of coconut milk with Thai curry paste and lots of veggies and Tofu makes this dish filling, hearty and yummy.
My favorite flavor is Red Curry and I tried making it in a different way by adding some mushrooms and surprisingly it turned out to be so yummy.
Here's how to make this dish.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 can coconut milk
2 tablespoons vegan Thai red curry paste- I prefer using MAESRI red curry paste but it's not vegan. Thai Kitchen is a vegan brand available on amazon that I used for this recipe.
1 pack/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup water- add only if your curry becomes too thick
1 cup Thai basil leaves (about 4-5 stalks) plus more for garnish
4-6 hand-torn kaffir lime leaves- you can omit this if not available
1 red, green, orange bell pepper sliced into thin 2-inch long strips
3 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal into ¼-inch thick rounds (about 1 cup)
2 cups of cubed tofu or half of one whole organic firm tofu (You can use potatoes instead of Tofu- it tastes so good!)
1 ½ tbsp Palm sugar or coconut sugar
2 tsp fresh lime juice
Garnishes/sides: a handful of chopped fresh basil.
* Set a saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the pan is hot, add about 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and all of the Thai red curry paste. Stir until the paste is fragrant.
* Pour the rest of the coconut milk and all of the water into the saucepan and bring to a boil.
* Add the mushrooms, bell peppers, and carrots- stir for 5 minutes.
* Toss in the Thai basil leaves, palm sugar, cubed tofu, and then the kaffir lime leaves.
* Cook for 5 more minutes. Then, turn off the heat and cover for 20 minutes. Let the veggies cook under the steam. Garnish with basil.
* Serve warm alongside a bowl of Jasmine rice.