Updated: Jun 25, 2021
Stroganoff (/ˈstrôɡəˌnôf/) is a dish in which the central ingredient, typically strips of beef, is cooked in a sauce containing sour cream. I made this dish with Mushrooms to give it a vegan twist and it tastes so delicious. Try it to know it. Its easy, filling and so quick to make for those hard, busy days. I got you Mammas!
Within just 30 minutes, you will be eating a very filling dish that satisfies your taste buds just like the original recipe developed in mid-nineteenth century Russia. This recipe is not only vegan but also healthy as no cream is required.
3/4 cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
1 cup cashew milk, or other mild-tasting plant-based milk
Alternatively, you can use coconut milk here.
8 oz gluten free pasta
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp tahini paste
1 medium diced sweet onion, about 1 cup
2 tbsps. minced garlic
3/4 tsp finely sea salt
8 oz cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup white wine vinegar/lemon juice
2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
pinch of ground black pepper, to taste
1. Place the cashews and cashew milk in a blender. Blend until smooth for 3-5 minutes. Set aside the cashew cream.
2. Boil the pasta until al dente or based on the package instructions.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and 1/4 tsp salt to the pan and sauté until the onion just begins to turn translucent about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add mushroom and thyme and cook until mushrooms are lightly browned for about 5 minutes.
5. Add vinegar or lemon, soy sauce, remaining salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine and increase the heat to high. Stir frequently, let the liquid reduce, about 5 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat back to medium. Add in the cashew cream that you prepared at the start and combine well and let it thicken for about 4 to 5 minutes. If the sauce becomes too thick, add additional cashew milk 1 tbsp at a time, not to exceed 3 tbsps., and stir.
7. Taste and add salt or pepper, if desired. Serve immediately over pasta.
NOTE: Store the leftover pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat in a microwave or stovetop and add some milk to thin the sauce, if necessary.