Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Updated: May 9, 2021
Making the perfect blend of GLUTEN FREE flour to make these fluffy, light pancakes took me some practice but I am so happy to share this recipe. The flour blend is gluten free and the recipe makes yummy, healthy pancakes and it is kid friendly.
1 and 1/4 cups unsweetened plant based milk (1 use cashew milk)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
(NOTE: Use 1 and 1/2 cup of buttermilk as an alternative for milk and apple cider vinegar)
I prefer using plant based milk if I am using apple cider vinegar as cow milk is not compatible
with sour foods. Else, use buttermilk as suggested.
3/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour or tapioca starch
(NOTE: Use 1 cup of any gluten free flour blend as an alternative)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup mini vegan chocolate chips
3 tbsps coconut sugar/maple syrup
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes to become light buttermilk.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, place all the dry ingredients and stir to combine evenly.
3. Add applesauce and vanilla to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together. Set aside and allow the batter to thicken while preheating a griddle or pan for 5 minutes.
5. Pour the batter on the griddle and gently spread the batter into a circle.
6. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the edge of pancakes become dull. There will not be as many bubbles as in traditional pancakes. Flip the pancake and cook about 2 additional minutes.
7. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve warm with some berries as a topping.